Photos, Hand-mades, Antiques, Gardening and Other Things I Fancy


Photobucket

Monday, April 12, 2010

The Garden at Porcupine Hollow

The garden (I use the term very loosely) at Porcupine Hollow is really a blank canvas.  That is a quaint way of saying there is no garden there.  What it is is a former pasture that nature is slowly reclaiming.  Nature, with a little help from the former owners in the form of  3000 trees that were planted about 15-20 yrs ago is slowly changing the face of the abandoned fields.  The land is now home to rabbits, squirrels, deer and porcupines....one particularly obnoxious porky has set up housekeeping in the pole barn and has aquired a taste for black rubber hoses, but that is a whole other story.
Gardenwise there is one patch of spring flowers by the side of the laneway and that is it.  Everything else is courtesy of Mother Nature.  The challenge I suppose is to naturalize all the plantings with lots of native woodland plants and hopefully a few of my favourites that the deer won't find to their liking.

Here they are...one patch.

But a prettier grouping isn't to be found in these parts.
And to think they have bloomed here all these years without anyone around to marvel at their beauty.


9 comments:

  1. What a perfect setting for the daffs. We have porkys here too. Kind of smelly chaps but we don't see them much in the city.

    Christine in Alaska

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be very interested to see how you go about merging your planting with the exisitng trees - it sounds like it will be quite lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like I do, maybe you can go in the woods and bring out the ferns and some of the other well native plants. You can always start to divide the Daffy's. I planted a lot of the wild Daylillies (which are one of my favorite wild ones, but the deer like them)
    As far as your porcupine friend...Good Luck with him (or her!!!)
    Wishing You Luck...
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful...so charming and pretty!! Lovely !
    Kiki~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for the kind remarks.
    Diva: I can't agree more. I love them!
    Christine: Oh yes....stinky stinky fellows!
    Gipps: I hope to naturalize with wild native plants as much as possible.
    Marilyn: I hope to do exactly as you have done. Making it look "managed natural".
    Kiki: Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I moved to our property the area where my large native woodland is was overgrown, but there were 2 clumps of Snowdrops, what a surprise the first spring and I have left them as a reminder. I think some animal has planted them, I have tried to keep it as natural as possible, but I draw the line at invasive weeds such as garlic mustard. Your daffodils are beautiful, you need to leave them, as a reminder. I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pictures! Thank you so much and keep sharing....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful picture and thank you so much for share. Please check out my site Yahoo mail helpline

    ReplyDelete

Dear Primitive lovers had this to say